My aim with Nibbler’s Aistear Adventures is to seamlessly and simultaneously integrate oral language and vocabulary development from an early age with elements of the infant programme in a wholistic way through play, right across the curriculum from the New Primary Language Curriculum, STEM, across all subject areas and with an opportunity to introduce early coding. Young children are like sponges, so it is vital to submerge them in language from an early age.
What is in Nibbler’s Aistear Adventures resource?
There are 8 themed packs. Each themed pack contains the following:
- 8 packs of themed flashcards (use of adjectives & real pictures)When tested on their ability to attach the name they had learned from the pictures to the real object, the children who viewed the real photograph were better able to extend the label to the real object (Ganae, Pickard, & DeLoache, 2008).
- 8 themed big books in English (agus as Gaeilge). Even on their own these big books provide lots of learning opportunities (English/ Gaeilge/ maths). They are perfect for Critical Thinking and Book Talk or Book of the Month with various activities, suitable questions and ideas for subsequent retellings in the back section of each book. More detail at… https://julieannedevlin.com/big-books-flashcards/
- Nibbler the Puppet. Playing with puppets is one of the most educational activities you can expose kids to. Children love to have ‘conversations’ with a puppet. Each verbal interaction with their puppet will encourage language development and listening skills. More detail at… https://julieannedevlin.com/sandy-shore/
- Bee Bot links. By using Bee-Bots, teachers are designing and implementing learning experiences that help to develop language, literacy and numeracy skills. Pupils develop their social and language skills through communication and playing in groups encouraging learning from each other. The NCCA is currently reviewing and redeveloping the primary school curriculum with an opportunity to
integrate coding and computational thinking skills in the curriculum. More detail at...https://julieannedevlin.com/bee-bot-links/
- 8 themed Teacher’s Handbooks. More detail at…https://julieannedevlin.com/teachers-handbook/
- 8 themed packs of Photocopy Templates. More detail at...https://julieannedevlin.com/photocopy-templates/
- Nibbler’s record book: A complete oral language and vocabulary development resource tying in with the Aistear themes, words of the day and loads more with just ten minutes discussion every day. Download and try out your free sample chapter at...https://www.cleverkids.ie/Nibbler_download.pdf (link currently being updated)
You can view more detail on each part of the resource in the drop down menu under the Aistear heading in the menu at the top of the page or click the links in italics above.
There are 8 themes in Nibbler’s Aistear Adventures. These themes have been carefully chosen so children can learn about different ways of life, different cultures, safety and a hint of fantasy for the imagination. Everything is there as a guide for the teacher in each theme. However, by linking other themes into the seasons, it is also a versatile resource and gives way for teachers and children who are looking at emergent learning to branch out from these Aistear themes.
- Halloween (autumn)
- Pirate (fantasy)
- Post office (winter/ Christmas)
- Fire (safety)
- Vet (spring)
- Camping (summer)
What’s so special about this resource
Nibbler’s Adventures represents a new innovation in children’s books. The illustrations on each page are loaded with hidden value. Look out for mathematical elements of shape, patterns and numbers; of emotional expressions like happiness, sadness, surprise.
Play is the common denominator that seamlessly and simultaneously links all four pillars of Aistear; Well-being, Identity & Belonging, Communicating, Exploring & Thinking. With Nibbler’s Adventures children can learn language, (a focus on oral langauge and vocabulary development) number, problem-solving, well-being and coding all at the same time, all through the medium of play.
Nibbler’s Aistear Adventures, a complete educational resource, helps to provide the teacher and pupils with a framework for learning through play. (Check http://www.cleverkids.ie)
Nibbler’s Aistear Adventures has been created based on the four themes in the National Aistear framework.